Friday, September 12, 2014

Algonquin Mammals

I had an excellent summer for mammals in Algonquin Park, and have made this post to share a few of the ones I managed photos of. Other species I saw very well but didn't photograph include Eastern Wolf, Red Fox, Mink, River Otter, Raccoon, Meadow Vole, Red-backed Vole, Deer Mouse, Red Squirrel, Eastern Chipmunk, Flying Squirrel sp. and Sorex Shrew sp. Poorly seen Short-tailed Shrew and several unidentified bats round out the list.

 It wouldn't be Algonquin Park without Moose, and I probably saw one every 2 or 3 days on average. This calf proceeded to follow its mom across the highway shortly after I took the picture.

Early in the summer I scared two American Martens up a tree. I think they are young ones almost fully grown.

They are extremely adept climbers!

Raccoons are quite rare in Algonquin, and it is usually the common and inquisitive Marten that gets into mischief in garbage cans and the like.

White-tailed Deer are much less common than Moose in Algonquin Park, and indeed this individual was actually just outside Algonquin at Ragged Falls Provincial Park.

It was an excellent summer for seeing Black Bears. This mother with two cubs was one of two such families hanging out in this area for the entire summer, probably being seen by thousands of visitors.
 
 I see Snowshoe Hares in Algonquin Park much less commonly than I see their relative, Eastern Cottontails, in the developed portions of Southern Ontario.
 
Virtually every mammal will eat meat when it is readily available, with Snowshoe Hares apparently being no exception, but it is hard to imagine a less vicious looking animal! Some seemingly unlikely animals I've personally seen showing their carnivorous streak include Northern Cardinal, Gray Squirrel and Mallard.

No comments:

Post a Comment